I had a very touching experience yesterday. My cousin, Scotty has been serving active duty, much of it in Iraq for almost a year now. Last night, his Marine unit made it safely back to Salt Lake. We went with his family to the drill center to greet the troops and it was an amazing experience. I always hear stories about people who sacrifice so much and about their families who are left home while they are overseas, but last night I saw it. As we were waiting for the bus to arrive, their was a KSL reporter going around interviewing family members and looking for a touching story. (They ALL were touching stories!) But she saw me holding my little Logan and asked if his daddy was coming home today. I said "no" and in my mind I thought of how thankful I was that the answer was no! I'm too selfish for that! But there are a lot of wives not as selfish as I who would answer yes to the reporter's question. I watched and cried as each wife waited for her husband to walk down those stairs, ran up to him and put her arms around him never wanting to let go again. I watched as the moms and dads, brothers and sisters, children, and other family members embraced their soldier, thankful he was home and well. I watched as my cousin Scotty walked down those stairs, proudly wearing his uniform, and I was THANKFUL he was alive and well and that our prayers had been answered. So this is a big THANK YOU to all those who serve in the military (Scotty, Justin, Dan, and soon to be my brother). And a big THANK YOU to their families, you are AMAZING and are my heroes!
Sorry the pictures are small, I copied them from Lauren's facebook.










3 comments:
Your post made me all teary eyed! I'm totally selfish too. Thank you to all the military families out there!
thank you for sharing! you gave me goose bumps, iam also to selfish, and i cry to easily!!
Amen, Elena. I think I often forget about the families of those who are serving in the military and how much they must be going through. You aren't selfish either :0). I love you and thanks for helping me remember the sacrifices that are being made for me daily. love you.
Post a Comment