Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Create Something Beautiful

In the October General Relief Society meeting, President Uchtdorf gave a talk called, "Happiness, Your Heritage". He talked about our need to create something beautiful. I really liked his talk a lot.

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.
Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty.
Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty—and I am not talking about the process of cleaning the rooms of your teenage children."
Below is a link to the talk incase anyone is interested in reading the whole thing.
Well over the past few months I have been working on many projects where I have "created" something and I now want to share them.

Tyrel and I bought this dresser from D.I. I didn't take a before picture but it used to be ugly cream-colored, chipped, and spray painted purple and green in spots. We sanded it, primed it, and painted it and now it has become the start of the "blue" theme for our little boys' room.
This sign used to be green and white, but I changed it to make it match the rest of the room.
How do you decorate when you are renting and can't paint the walls or even hang sturdy curtain rods? Well this is what I came up with. Thanks to Elise, my college roomy who taught me it. In case you can't tell, these are pictures from Sesame Street that are hanging as is from a clothes line. The next one are pictures of Christ, the temple, and the prophet.
For Silas' birthday party we wanted to have a pinata. My Abuelita (Grandma in Spanish) offered to make the pinata for us. I asked if I could help so one afternoon I went over to her house and she taught me how to make it. We had a good time. Incase you are wondering, it is a carrot.
For Silas' party we also wanted to have some Elmo cupcakes, being that Silas is obsessed with "Melmo". So Izzy came over and taught me how to make them. Then Steph came over later that day and helped me finish decorating them.

And last, I bought a piece of Elmo fleece and made a quilt for Silas for his birthday. On the back, I just stitched around the shapes with embrodiery floss and then I binded the two together with my new sewing machine--thanks family! I couldn't get a picture of it just laying there because Silas wouldn't stop laying on it or taking it away.

So that is a sum. of my projects, I thought I better show them now because after Baby Brother comes, I'm sure it will be a while before I get anything done!

2 comments:

Braydan and Jessica said...

Good job on all your projects! I love the dresser and wall decorations. Can you make me an Elmo quilt for Kaleb?? He would love it :) What a good mommy.

Anonymous said...

What cute cupcakes! I'm so sorry we missed the party! I hope that Silas has a great birthday tomorrow!